Jailhouse Rice

You’ve got to have pretty thick skin to have any sort of public presence on the internet. You’d think a leelittle ol' food blogger could share a few recipes without getting treated like a Kardashian. But… you’d be wrong.

Jailhouse Rice


Social media has made people downright mean, y’all! I mostly just laugh at the stuff I get but I’ve had to stop sharing it with Husband because he gets UPSET when anyone messes with me. After sharing a particularly nasty comment with him one night he walked so many circles around the living room I thought he was gonna cut a hole in the rug! He looked like Fred Sanford pausing and clutching his chest every third round or so.

Bless his heart.

One night I stumbled onto a pin of my Sausage & Rice Casserole on Pinterest and saw that there were over a hundred comments on it.

What the what?!

When I checked it out I saw that a full-blown debate had broken out. Someone commented saying the recipe looked like “prison food”. Then another someone chimed in saying it was one of her favorite recipes and it was nothing like prison food. And then another one joined in saying he’d been to prison and neither of them knew what they were talking about.

Jailhouse Rice


It appears Pinterest was divided on that pin between those who thought the recipe looked awful (like prison food) and those who had tried it and loved it (and were defending it – bless them) with a sprinkling of ex-cons who, evidently, wished they had had some when they were in jail.

I got a good chuckle out of it, even if I did go to bed scratching my head wondering why anyone would think a yummy casserole made with rice and sausage looked like something you’d eat in jail.

I had a house full of people coming over last weekend and wanted to cook something easy so I decided to make a double batch of the recipe and mix things up a bit.

And in honor of the Pinterest debate over the original recipe, I decided to call this one Jailhouse Rice!!

I have tweaked the original recipe six ways from Sunday over the years just using what I had on-hand. Three main components of the recipe are ground meat, broth and creamed soup which can be switched up dozens of ways. Here, see what I mean…

Ground meat:
Sausage
Venison
Italian Sausage
Turkey
Beef
Pork

Broth:
Chicken
Vegetable
Beef
Turkey

Creamed Soup:
Mushroom
Onion
Celery
Chicken
Broccoli
Asparagus

Use whichever combination you think sounds good to you then follow the recipe. The recipe below makes twice as much as my original Sausage & Rice Casserole so double up where needed if you're using it as your base recipe.

I reeeeeally want to make this using ground beef, cream of mushroom soup and beef broth! And ya know what? I think I will this weekend! And now that I'm looking at this all typed out and organized, I think I'd like to make it with ground turkey and cream of asparagus too!

This recipe was featured at the Weekend Potluck!
INGREDIENTS
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 lb. sausage (I use 'Hot')
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 large onion, finely diced
2 cups finely diced celery
2 14.5-oz cans chicken broth
1 10.5-oz can cream of celery soup
1 10.5-oz can cream of onion soup
2 cups long-grain white rice


Reading More At: Jailhouse Rice

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel

Read More About This Recipe Click Here